The project includes numerous sustainable design features and Green technologies:
- On-site renewable energy – up to a 200 kW Photo Voltaic System to provide “free” electricity.
- Solar Thermal panels to provide “free” hot water. (Nov 2011 – this feature was removed in order to cut project costs)
- Wind Turbine for educational purposes.
- Reduced potable water consumption by 50% or more.
- Rain water harvesting system for toilet flushing and irrigation. Reduces storm water runoff and use of potable water.
- Reduced energy consumption, significantly below current usage, and greater than current MA energy code.
- Digital display of real-time electrical energy generated by photo voltaic and wind systems.
- Regionally sourced woods, gypsum, and finish materials, recycled products, and low v.o.c. finishes will be used in the renovations and additions.
- High efficiency replacement glazing with operable windows for natural ventilation.
- Improved storm water management.